Saturday, March 6, 2010

Two Worlds

That Eisner article jarred me a bit on the inside. It made me very aware of my two worlds. I have gotten very good at ignoring this fact. I mostly live in one of the worlds and rationalize the other's existence.

I am a CPA, an accountant, a bean counter. Yes, it's true. However, I have never quite fit into the accounting world. My CPA days were difficult ones. I did not fit in, or so it seemed to me. I felt like a round peg in a square (very square) environment. I didn't want to work 60-70 hours a week and not have time for anything else. Anything else is everything that I really like. I was very capable and strong in accounting but it wasn't my joy. Teaching is a way to blur and blend accounting into something else. Many days at JCC, I feel more like a counselor or advisor and less a teacher. And in my teaching, I am just as interested in technology and current event as I am in debits and credits. The best part of my day is always working with students.

I am also a creative person, a lover of the arts and a natural musician. This course has been a delight to my intellect and senses and heart. Music finds me. This year is case in point. I had not played the piano much for the past few years, and then word got out in my son's school district that I could play. I've been rehearsing and performing regularly ever since. Within the next month, I will accompany 9 kids at middle school solo and ensemble, 3 kids at state high school finals and play another concert with the middle school jazz band. I wasn't looking for any of this, it found me. And I love it. I love playing, I love encouraging the kids and working with them, and I love being a part of the music. Other that that, virtually all art forms attract me in one way or another. This class has made me a little ADD in that regard. Now I want to redecorate my house, start taking better pictures all the time and go see all of the best films.

Bottom line: I am hungry for artistic things, and my regular world is not feeding me.

Back to Eisner: Is there a way to celebrate both worlds and bring them together?

No comments:

Post a Comment