Saturday, April 3, 2010

Feeling Quite Poorly

Fashion is for skinny people with money. I am neither. It is profoundly discouraging to think and consider how I should be dressing when I have no available income for such purchases and when I do go out to purchase something simple like a dinner dress or a pair of jeans, I can't find anything that suits my shape and size. I am acutely aware of my appearance and clothing. I do the best that I can with what I have knowing that it really isn't all that great. There are only so many affordable jeans and dresses at Kohls and Penneys and they don't do it for me.

I find the hosts of the show "What Not To Wear" rude, condescending and arrogant. If I was the subject being humiliated and taunted by them for the purposes of cable entertainment, I would be devastated. My reaction to seeing this show was strong, emotional and enduring. I find myself still processing negative feelings a day later.

How then could fashion and education somehow be linked? Deep breath. Well, impressions are important. There is something to dressing the part and portraying a certain image in the classroom. Some female teachers look like "the mommy", others look like "the boss", others try to look like "the cool guy" but they really look like slobs or ridiculous or both, etc. For my particular teaching area with community college accounting students, I think it is important for me to look professional but also approachable. The whole point of the community college environment is to focus on teaching and reach students.

Looks and image are very important and do play a part in establishing tone in the classroom. I do the best I can with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment